Photo by Kat J on Unsplash
If you know someone that is struggling with grief you may want to express how you feel to them, or you want to help but aren’t sure how to go about it or what to say. Flowers help communicate your emotions in a unique way that other gifts cannot, they can express deep feelings and symbolise, love and compassion.
There are many reasons for grieving
The best flowers to send are the ones that feel right to you
Traditionally sympathy flowers are white, however bright flowers, pastels or natives can also be appropriate. A thoughtful gesture is to include a favorite flower or one with special meaning to the recipient.
Photo by Stephanie Harvey on Unsplash
Think about a vase arrangement or plant
When grieving even small things can feel a bit overwhelming.
A vase of flowers makes it easier for the recipient as the flowers arrive already arranged in water and they don't have to look for a vase.
Plants continue to grow and re-flower, providing a living memory for many years. Orchids, Gardenias or Peace lilies would all be beautiful as would a small garden tree.
Photo by Külli Kittus on Unsplash
Flowers aren’t the only option
Other thoughtful and practical ways you can express your feelings include;
- Just being there. Sometimes what someone needs most to to be listened to or to have a shoulder to cry on.
- Ask the question "how can I help?". Offering practical help, perhaps cleaning, shopping, providing a meal, mowing the lawn or babysitting can make a bigger difference than you think.
- Send a note or card. This is a very personnel way to reach out and people appreciate that you took the time to to write.
- Making a charitable donation. In the case of a death, a donation in lieu of flowers is often requested, if this is the case it is appropriate to honor the request.
- Send a gift or care hamper. Think about what may lift the recipients spirits, are they a reader or gardener? Do they enjoy chocolate or hand knitted socks. A well considered basket of items will be much appreciated.
- Take them out of the house. Maybe for coffee a movie or a walk in the park. Give them the gift of your time.